Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Last Love Letter



The Last Love Letter

 Sitting on the porch on spring day, a young writer is looking at some pictures from a dance that was at her high school the night before. She didn’t go because she was dateless and she wanted to work on a story that she was writing. Her best friend Maxwell (nickname: Maximum)  went to the dance with his new girlfriend and he was ecstatic to show the pictures. His girlfriend Rosie is beyond beautiful with golden hair, a perfect, scurvy body, and a precious, doll-like smile. She is also very caring and kind-hearted. In one of the pictures, he had an arm lovingly around her and his face was lit up with such happiness. The writer could tell that he was truly in love with the girl and all kinds of feelings hit the writer all at once. She just smiles warmly up at him and says, “That’s great.” But when she’s finally alone in her bedroom, she grabs a pen and paper and she begins to write what’s really on her heart.

Dear Maximum,

This is the last love letter to you. I have written many but you haven’t seen any of them. I have kept them in a box in the back of my closet. We have been friends since Junior year when we were partners for a writing project in English class but since last July when we spent a whole week by the lake, I’ve wanted more. I have kept my feelings for you a secret for a long time, fearing what you would say back. I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. I’ve always hoped that one day I would have enough courage to say ‘I love you’ but today it became official that you’re in love with someone else. Now, I just want one last time to write how much I’m in love with you before I give up my dreams of you, before I bury my romantic feelings underground and continue on just being your friend.

You always make me smile and laugh no matter what. Even when you don’t know that I’m upset, you always manage to say something silly or sweet and I forget all of my troubles. Never letting me put myself down, you make feel good about myself. You see my faults but you see them as things that make me beautiful and unique. You accept me for who I am. You also protect me and you won’t let anything or anyone hurt me.

You’re so amazing. You’re very smart (even if you don’t admit it), your adoring smile gives me butterflies in my stomach every time, and your dark green eyes are more alluring than you know. You don’t know how many times those eyes just made me want to jump in your arms and kiss you. In my eyes, you are an exact description of Prince Charming that all of those storytellers conveyed.

Even though a part of me is heartbroken and disappointed that you’ll never feel the same about me, another part of me is happy for you. You deserve a sweet girl like her. I’ll give you two nothing but encouragement, friendship, and support. I just want to know that I’ll always care with all of my heart. Now, I’ll end this slight obsession and let you go. You will never know. I’m very content just being your best friend…I promise. I love you so much Maximum.

---L

The writer then silently gets the red, heart-shaped box from her closet, kisses the folded letter, and puts it in the box with the others. She fights back tears, reminding herself that he’s happy now. Then, she puts the box back in the closet and shuts the door, feeling as though another chapter of her life has ended within minutes. That’s when her cell phone rings. She clears her throat, masking her sudden melancholy mood that she’s trying to ignore.

“Hello,” she says, sounding bubbly.

“Hey.” It’s Maximum with a smile in his voice.

“What’s up?” she asks.

Then, Maximum begins to tell a funny story about Rosie and gushes about her for hours. The young writer doesn’t mind it. She giggles, smiles. Despite the small heaviness in her heart, she loves hearing the joy of her best friend and wouldn’t do anything to change it. 


(c)Lena Holdman, all rights reserved 2011



Ah young love, lol! Sometimes loving someone means letting them go.

No comments:

Dear Frenemies (a poem)

  Dear Frenemies,  I finally forgive you,  But you no longer have power over me.  I broke the strings, I unlocked the chains.  Unlike Wendy ...