Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wonderland Camp 2011

 


Last week, Wonderland Camp at the Lake of the Ozarks was fun. I saw my old friends: Kortney, Mary, Angie, Joe, Kelsey, Ashley, Toby, Dustin, Lois, and Alena. I also made some new friends: Erika, Hope, Taylor, Colleen, Rachel, and Heather. It felt so good to be surrounded by all those caring people. It felt like I was at my second home. On Sunday, we had the pool party. Beach balls were flying and people were hollering all around me. The water was chilly but it was very fun. I swam with Erika and we goofed around with Joe. He was so funny. He was trying to give me a mohawk with my wet hair.

On Monday morning, it was raining cats and dogs so we had inside activities. At first, in the game room, I was writing a song with Dustin on the back of the coloring page. Then, I made bead bracelets with Joe in the dinning hall (he loves driving my chair). My bracelet was so cool! The beads glowed in the dark. That afternoon, we played bingo and Joe sat by me. That evening was karaoke night. After five years of camp, I finally talked Kortney into singing with me while Kelsey held the microphone for us. We sang “Because Of You” by Kelly Clarkson. We rocked!

On Tuesday, it was raining again and we had inside activities. I doodled pictures with some friends until lunchtime. By the afternoon, the rain stopped and we rode the boat. The boat ride was very bumpy but entertaining. After the boat ride, while the rest of my cabin took a nap, I decided to go up in the tree house to see Joe and play “nature bingo”. That evening was movie night. We saw “Up”. It was a cute movie. I liked the talking dogs in it. After the movie, Joe drove me to my cabin at the highest speed. It was hilarious. He was zigzagging my chair down the sidewalk. The other counselors and campers were giggling and I was laughing so hard. Joe is so much fun!

On Wednesday, we had Crafts, Rec, and Music. In Crafts, we tie-dyed our camp shirts. My shirt was purple and blue with a tiny bit of pink in the middle (I can’t stand pink but they only had three colors). My shirt was cool though. In Rec, we tossed the ball to each other. In music, we practiced for the talent show for a while and then Dustin sung and played some songs on the piano. He was so good. That afternoon, during pool time, I went to the splash pad. The splash pad was like a mini water park above the pool. Water was shooting out from pipes everywhere and they ran me through it in a shower chair. The water was ice cold but it was awesome! That evening was the talent show. While waiting for our turn to perform, Joe sat by me and Kortney and sung every song. Both Kortney and I couldn’t help but to laugh. It was darling (yes, I said darling).  It’s the silliest moments that I remember. For our group talent, my cabin performed “Come On, Ride The Train” and went around the room, doing the arm motions. For my individual talent, I sang “Crazy” by Britney Spears. That night was a blast!

On Thursday, we had Nature and Music. In Nature, we shot BB guns. Joe helped me and I got a perfect bull’s-eye. In Music, we played random instruments. Then all that afternoon, the girls got ready for the dance, listening to soothing music. Ashley painted my nails dark gray and Mary spiked my hair. After dinner was the dance. I wore a dark purple and blue top, my favorite skinny jeans, a black bow on the side of my head, and my black shoes. The dinning hall was crowded, my spinning lights were bright, and the music was just blaring. I danced with everyone including, Dustin, Kortney, Taylor, and Colleen, but I danced with Joe the most. He was twirling around and around, being goofy. I was beyond dizzy, people’s faces and shapes blurring together for a second, but I didn’t care. It felt like I was on a rollercoaster. I was with my friends, surrounded by loud music, and I was in heaven.

On Friday, the last day, we had awards. I got the “Lone Wolf Bingo Player” award for being the only one in my cabin who played bingo in Nature. I also got the “Crazy Driver” award for speeding (as a joke). People were signing each other’s shirts and saying goodbye. Then, as my parents pulled up, Joe raced my chair to my cabin one more time and he gave a big hug. I always find Fridays bittersweet because of all the farewells but I always know that I’ll be back soon. Camp won’t ever change and the memories are engraved in my mind. I can’t wait until next time!

No comments:

Dear Frenemies (a poem)

  Dear Frenemies,  I finally forgive you,  But you no longer have power over me.  I broke the strings, I unlocked the chains.  Unlike Wendy ...