Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Trolling Or Bullying?

In internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community  with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. 

Cyberbullying is the use of information technology to harm or harass other people in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner. Examples of what constitutes cyberbullying include communications that seek to intimidate, control, manipulate, put down, falsely discredit, or humiliate the recipient. 

I often play an online game called Smallworlds and it’s very fun. It’s open to all ages. In the game, I’m a witch with magic powers, which I enjoy and I make a lot of friends. It’s an awesome game! Trolls on Smallworlds supposed to be pranksters, jokesters, tricksters.They just trick you out of your tokens or start silly magic/gun fights. 
 

It’s supposed to be all in good fun but some people use trolling as an excuse to be bullies. These bullies stalk players, hack accounts, say inappropriate insults, spread gross, false rumors, or even threaten. 

 


I usually just laugh at the trolls but I take snapshots of the bullies and report them, even if they’re not bullying me. People need to remember that it’s a great game, not another site to bully someone. 

*And don't worry, I reported the guy in snapshot above before I wrote this. The guy was a well-known bully in the game. He bullied some of my gaming friends. I just went where he hung out to catch him in the act and he tried to pick on me, not knowing I got it in a picture. I'm not being bullied.   

No comments:

Dear Frenemies (a poem)

  Dear Frenemies,  I finally forgive you,  But you no longer have power over me.  I broke the strings, I unlocked the chains.  Unlike Wendy ...