Monday, June 15, 2015

Wonderland Camp, June 2015



Last week, I had a blast at Wonderland Camp! I saw some of my old friends including Kortney, Jeff, Jay, Dustin, Jason, Cookie, Ann, Cynthia, Sherry (Cynthia’s mom), and Chris. I also made new friends including Kaley “Moosy”, Libby, Julie, Tucker, Gabby, Emma, Quita, Autumn, Justen, and Shelia. I was in the JCA cabin. On Sunday evening, we had a campfire. With happy singing in the background, Kortney, Libby, and I walked around camp and socialized with everyone. Then, we had delicious, gooey s’mores. It was a nice evening.

On Monday, we had Arts and Crafts then Nature. In Crafts, we tie-dyed our shirts. My shirt was dark purple and red, very cool colors. In Nature, we shot bow and arrows. It was cool. They had a special, customized compound bow for people who can’t use their hands very well.

Then that  afternoon, we had a hayride down to the water front and rode the boat.  I didn’t sleep this time. I enjoyed the water and wind on my face. We were being silly and pointing out the biggest lake houses as we passed by. In the evening, I just hung out outside and talked with friends.

On Tuesday morning, We had time at the splash pad/pool. I was obsessed with the splash pad this year. I loved getting splashed, soaked, and being surrounded by water. They put me in a shower chair and ran with me through the water. Libby said that I looked like a water nymph when I was under the water and since I’m into fairies and things, that made me laugh. In the afternoon, we had Rec. We were playing bowling, using soda bottles and a kickball. I decided to be a smart aleck and knocked over the bottles with my wheelchair. Everyone laughed.

Then I got to try the new mini zip-line. It was so awesome! It had seat for me to sit in and it felt like I was flying, my stomach doing flip-flops. I was laughing and screaming the whole time. In Nature, we then made lays out of flowers and made Moon Sand (it’s like rough feeling Play-Doh). Then that evening, we did fun obstacle courses and played games. It was a great day.

On Wednesday morning, we had splash pad/pool time. In the afternoon, we had Nature and shot arrows again. Then for Crafts, we made necklaces and colored.  For the rest of the afternoon, we practiced for the talent show.  The talent show was that evening and everyone was excited. For the show, I sang “Oops…I Did it Again” by Britney Spears, with Kortney and Autumn, while the other girls in our cabin danced behind  us. Then,  I sang “That's My Kind of a Party” by Luke Bryan, with Jeff. It was cute. The talent show was fun with so much good music and funny moments.

On Thursday morning, a group of actors from a local college came and put on a play for us. The play was about a boy who rescues a dragon from the animals on a magical island. It was adorable. It sort of reminded me of Peter Pan. In the afternoon,  we went to the splash pad/pool. I skipped Nature because I was having so much fun in the water. Later, we had Beauty Shop to get ready for the dance.

Later on, that evening, the dance began. I wore purple eye shadow, repainted my nails black, spiked my hair up, and wore a black and white dress. Music was booming and the spinning lights surrounded me in the crowded hall. I danced, sang, and laughed with all of my friends. I even got out of my chair twice to slow dance. I love dance night!


On Friday, everybody was getting ready to go home. People were signing shirts and exchanging addresses. Friday is always bittersweet. A part of me is ready to go home but another wants to stay with my friends. Camp has changed a lot since last year but it still feels like a secondary home to me. Last week was an adventure. I can’t wait until I go back!   




P.S. This song was playing when we arrived and left camp. It's special for the girls in JCA. 

1 comment:

marquita said...

Hey it was a lot f fun with you at camp.cant wait until next year

Dear Frenemies (a poem)

  Dear Frenemies,  I finally forgive you,  But you no longer have power over me.  I broke the strings, I unlocked the chains.  Unlike Wendy ...