Monday, June 19, 2017

Not the Poster Child



Not the Poster Child  

When I'm out and about,
Out living my life, 
I can hear people talk.
They say: 
"Aw, she's so helpless, 
 She can't walk." 
"She shouldn't be drinking alcohol or be going on dates, 
She's too disabled." 

Well, guess what, 
I'm not the poster child; 
that sad, innocent face of disability 
that needs your full attention and sympathy. 

My spirit is wild and strong; 
I'm just a young woman that loves to have fun. 
My "condition" doesn't hold me back or keep me down.
I'm sorry if you're looking for a heartbreaking story, 
You won't find it here; 
You're looking at the wrong gal. 
I'm not and never was that poster child.  😜 




(c)Lena Holdman, all rights reserved 2017 


Poet Notes: This poem was meant to be cheeky and sarcastic. I'm poking fun at people who treat me like I'm fragile and broken because of my CP, lol. 😁

No comments:

Dear Frenemies (a poem)

  Dear Frenemies,  I finally forgive you,  But you no longer have power over me.  I broke the strings, I unlocked the chains.  Unlike Wendy ...