Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The Defense Attorney Next Door: Part 2 - the Date (a SVU fanfic)


When I opened my door the next morning, Rafael was standing at my door, being dressed for work, with a cup of Starbucks coffee and my mail in his hands. 

"Good morning Rosette," he said with an alluring smile. After giving me my mail and my surprise, he stayed and talked to me for a few minutes before he had to go to work.    

He did this on Thursday morning too, giving me my mail and a gorgeous bouquet of yellow roses.

"Thank you, Rafael," I exclaimed happily, "You really don't have to do this!" 

"But I want to. Besides, it's a good start to my long day to see you smile." 

I never smiled so big before in my life. I also noticed throughout the week that he was starting to give me heart eyes but I tried not to overthink it and just enjoyed these moments. On Friday, he couldn't stop by because of work but when I opened my door, there was a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a handwritten note from him at my feet. The note simply read: See you tonight at 7. Sincerely, Rafael.  

I struggled with focusing on my work all that day. I was too excited and nervous to think about murderers, trials, or grammar. I was trying to proofread an article but my brain kept replaying memories of Rafael like a broken record. When I thought about his sexy smile and the welcoming way that he would say my name, the butterflies in my stomach fluttered and my mind got completely lost in sultry thoughts.

Rafael burst into my door, saying, "Rosette, I need you...now." He made me stand up from my desk, slamming me against the wall and kissing me so hard that I could barely breathe, but I kissed him back just as eagerly, combing my fingers through his hair. His soft lips were all over me now. He then grabbed my upper thigh, pulling my body closer to his. Biting my bottom lip, I trembled in anticipation and lust. He peeled his jacket off hurriedly behind him, still kissing me hungrily. Then... 

Then, a car alarm outside of my window woke me up from this enticing daydream. I now sat alone at my desk once again in front of my laptop with a yellow highlighter behind my ear, a red ink pen in my hand, and papers from the first draft of an article scattered all over my desk. Sweat was running down my back and I gulped down a whole bottle of water. 

"Get it together," I scolded myself, "You're an adult, you have to work! What the hell was that anyway? You're not a heroine in a tacky romance novel."  

Finally, at five o'clock, I gave up on my work and ate a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich. I then started to pick out my outfit for that evening. First, I tried on a long, black sweater dress with a black pair of leggings, brown lipstick, a pair of black boots, and a black knitted hat. I looked in the mirror and thought: "Too dark and bookish." 

Then, I tried on a purple, lacy blouse and a pair of blue jeans with a pair of brown, high-heel boots that were excruciating to walk in. 

"Too casual, painful, and WAY too desperate," I thought. 

As I took off the boots from Hell, I noticed something red and glittery in the back of my closet, shimmering in the waning daylight. I walked over to it. It was my red, sequined, sleeveless midi dress. I tried it on with a red, push-up bra to show off my cleavage and a pair of thigh-high, red stockings underneath the dress so I wouldn't be cold. I smiled at the mirror. I didn't know why but I just felt like I should wear this that night. 

Once I knew for sure that this was what I was going to wear, I quickly undressed, brushed my teeth, and took a shower. After I washed up and dried off, I put everything back on and began to finish the look. Leaving my hair down, I curled it, brushed it, and sprayed product in it so it would be wavy. I put on red, liquid lipstick, purple eyeshadow, black eyeliner and mascara, and a pair of metallic, galaxy purple pumps. 

I looked at my finished outfit in the mirror and thought with satisfaction and some amusement: "Jessica Rabbit chic. I love it." I then looked over at the clock and it was almost six. I figured that I should be going. I grabbed my purse, phone, and a mask. Putting on my black leather jacket, I checked the mirror one last time and headed out the door. 

 Anna's Coffee café had a dark academia but homey aesthetic. It had Victorian-Gothic tables and lamps, several booths that had soft, burgundy-colored seating, six velvety armchairs in cozy reading nooks with old-fashioned bookshelves that were filled with classic books, and there was an electric but antique-looking fireplace that was always on. The aroma of fresh-made pies, pastries, and coffee was also part of the relaxed atmosphere. 

Twenty-eight-year-old Petra Kirkpatrick, who I met in college, decorated the café in the dark academia aesthetic because she loved reading and the Victorian era but she also made the café welcoming to everyone in memory of her grandma, Anna, who passed away in 2019. Petra said that her grandma's door was always open to anyone. Her house was so fancy and relaxed, and no matter who came over, there would always be some coffee and pie. 

People told Petra that it was crazy to open a café during the pandemic but she didn't care. She wanted to preserve her grandma's memory somehow. She made it work, using her own money. She also asked Josh to work there since he didn't have a job due to the pandemic. They didn't have a lot of business at first but since the Covid restrictions have been relaxed recently, writers, avid readers, college students, and coffee addicts began to flock there daily. I was so proud of my friends. 

I arrived at the café at six-thirty for my date with Rafael. I knew that I was early but I was feeling too reckless to wait. When I walked in, they were behind the wooden, polished countertop, making orders. Josh saw me, took off his mask, hopped over the countertop, and exclaimed: "Rosette, I'm loving this look on you!" 

Twenty-nine-year-old Josh Pannington was a tall, muscular, approachable, excitable (overly excitable at times), black, gay man with blue eyes, a goatee, a handsome, picture-ready smile, an incredible singing voice, and dark hair that was up in a man bun most of the time. He was the type of guy that other gay men would gawk over and women would wish was straight. 

Ever since middle school back in Missouri, Josh and I were thick as thieves. We were the same age but he protected me like a big brother. During our senior year of high school, we decided to go to New York after graduation. He wanted to be an actor and I wanted to go to college for investigative journalism. Neither of our parents were thrilled about this decision but we couldn't be stopped, even when my so-called parents took away half of my college fund. I did graduate from college and Josh did constantly get acting roles on Broadway year after year until the pandemic hit. 

"Thanks," I beamed, "Someone is meeting me here for a date. Is my usual booth free?" 

"Of course," called out Petra happily. 

My usual booth was the first one next to the window. Light shined through it the most, there was more space to move, and it's where you could see the most scenery of the beautiful, busy city. Taking off my jacket, I sat in the booth and Josh slid next to me. 

He asked me: "So who is it?" 

"Oh, would you like to know," I teased. 

"Is it the weird psychologist?" 

"Um, hell no." 

"The Stephen King wannabe?" 

"No." 

"Hey, Mr. Chatterbox," said Petra, "I could use some help over here please!" 

"I will, I will," he replied with a grin, "once Rosette tells me who her mystery man is. She's obviously dressed to impress." 

"It's no one you met," I told him. 

"Please don't tell me that it's someone from your work," he whined.

"It's Rafael Barba," I finally blurted out. 

"Ohhh my God," Josh sang out, making everyone look at us for a second. 

"Shhh!" I was embarrassed but yet, fighting the urge to laugh out loud.

My answer even got Petra's attention. She dashed to the booth, taking her long, brown hair out of a ponytail, peeling off her mask, and her green eyes was inquisitive. 

She exclaimed: "That lawyer that you've been obsessed with forever?" 

"Not obsessed," I corrected, "just admired...from afar." 

Josh asked: "Who asked who out first?" 

"Well, do you remember on Tuesday night when I lost my key and...?" 

"Wait," he interrupted, "were you in his apartment while you were waiting for me?" 

"Yes." 

"Oh wow." 

"And after you found my key, he carried my bags to my door for me and I...asked him out." 

"Look at you," he cheered, "taking the initiative! I'm so proud, yeah baby!"   

"Thanks," I smiled, "I just took a leap of faith." 

Petra looked skeptical and asked: "But is he too old for you?" 

"Oh, don't be such an ageist," Josh told Petra, "It's not a Wilmer Valderrama situation! Rosette and Mr. Barba are both grown, consenting adults. Besides, the heart wants what the heart wants." 

"Okay, okay." 

"Hey," he then said excitedly, "I have an idea." 

"Oh no," Petra and I said in unison. 

He always tried to come up with a clever plan for me to impress my dates but it was always humiliating in some way. 

"Just hear me out: He speaks Spanish, right? 

"Right," I replied hesitantly, "Rafael is Cuban. Why?" 

"And you can still speak Spanish?"

"Yes. Again, why?" 

"I only know a few Spanish phrases," he continued, "but it's enough. When I come to take your orders, I can ask you what you want in Spanish and you can answer back in Spanish, so you can show how intelligent you are." 

"I don't know..." 

Petra said: "Come on Josh, we better get back to work. Some pies are in the oven and Mr. Barba is probably on his way." 

"Okay," Josh said, getting up from the booth, putting back on his mask, and winking at me, "but trust me Rosette, men like Mr. Barba go crazy for smart women." 

"I'll try to make Josh behave," she whispered, putting on her mask and standing up, "but you know the risks when you meet dates here." 

"I know," I replied, "but I'm less nervous when I meet someone if I'm here." 

Petra just smiled warmly and walked away. 

I checked my phone and it was 6:59 P.M. I reminded myself not to look so anxious. 

"Just breathe," I coaxed myself. 

I checked my phone again and it was 7:10 . 

"He's just a little late," I told myself, "no biggie." 

At 7:28, I thought with panic: "Did I send him the address?!" 

I looked through my phone and to my relief, I did send the address to his phone and he had read the text earlier that day. 

At 7:38, I erratically thought: "Maybe he forgot or he just ghosted me for a prettier woman! I'm probably just a neighbor to him. I was so desperate for him to..." 

I wanted to cry but I wouldn't let myself. It was silly to cry at this point. Sensing my sadness, Josh said: "He's probably stuck in traffic." 

"Yeah...maybe." 

Finally, at 7:43, he texted: So sorry. Court ran later than I expected. Stopping by my apartment to freshen up then I'll be on my way!              

"He's on his way," I said aloud happily without thinking, "Court just ran late!" 

"Good," Josh smiled.  

I texted back: No problem, I'll be here.  

I quickly touched up on my make-up and grabbed a book from a shelf so it looked like I was reading this whole time, not fretting and being on the verge of tears. I turned the third page, when I heard Josh go: "Daaammmnnn" underneath his breath. 

I looked up and turned around. I forgot to breathe for a second. Rafael stood there, holding a white rose; his beautiful, green eyes scanning for me. He just took off a mask and his long, gray coat. He was wearing a white shirt with two buttons unbuttoned that showed some chest hair, an opened, black vest over the shirt, black slacks, and a pair of black Gucci loafers. His salt-and-pepper hair was also slicked back. This wasn't his usual work attire; he dressed casually desirable for the date...for me. 

"Damn is right," I whispered to myself, smiling. 

I stood up from the booth and waved at him. "Rafael, over here!" 

When he saw me, he gave me a small, irresistible grin and said: "Rosette, you look absolutely stunning." 

"Thank you," I smiled, "you look..." 

"Heartbreakingly, breath-takingly, knee-buckling sexy," I thought. 

"...Incredibly handsome," I told him confidently. 

"Thank you," he said warmly, as he handed me the rose and we sat in the booth, facing each other, "Sorry about being late and not texting or calling you. Judges are real sticklers for not using phones in court and I was with my clients during recess." 

"It's okay." 

"But I feel foolish," he said flirtatiously, "for leaving such a gorgeous woman waiting." 

"Don't be silly," I giggled, "I was reading to pass the time." 

I knew that I was blushing but I didn't try to hide it this time. Then, I swiftly closed the book so he wouldn't see that I only read three pages. 

Curiosity getting the best of me, I then asked: "Who are your clients or is that secret?" 

"They're a group of disabled college students that formed a demonstration on campus, demanding that the school have more wheelchair accessibility. This protest was approved by the dean but the protest started during class hours. Some negative things were said about the college during the demonstration so the dean had them arrested for disturbing the peace and expelled them, which was a huge mistake, done out of spite."  

I asked sardonically: "Has that dean never heard of freedom of speech or inclusion?"  

"My thoughts exactly," he chuckled. 

I then saw Josh coming towards the booth. I wanted to hide under the table but I knew that I just had to endure the embarrassment.

"Hola," exclaimed Josh, "¿Puedo tomar su orden?" (Can I take your order?) 

I was so mortified but I hoped that if I played along, Rafael wouldn't give it a second thought. 

"Sí," I replied, as calmly as I could, "Me gustaría un moka de menta con leche de almendras y sirope extra de chocolate por favor." (I would like a peppermint mocha with almond milk and extra chocolate syrup please). 

Rafael grinned at me with astonishment and said: "Impressive." 

"I know, right," said Josh happily, "She's so smart!"   

"I thought that you only spoke Spanish," he said to Josh. 

"Oh, no but isn't Rosette amazing though? She speaks Spanish perfectly!" 

An explanation being needed, I said: "Rafael, this is my friend Josh Pannington. Josh, this is my neighbor Rafael Barba." 

"It's nice to meet you," said Josh. 

"Likewise." 

They shook hands.

Then, Josh exclaimed proudly: "Hey, did you know that Rosette taught herself Spanish when she was only thirteen?" 

"Really?" 

"Yep, she spent that whole summer in her room teaching herself." 

"Just because my mom grounded me that summer," I said, "due to my B- on my math final. I wanted to do something productive during my punishment and I've always wanted to learn another language." 

Rafael smiled at me and remarked: "Wow, not all kids at that age have the discipline to learn a new language on their own especially after being grounded for the summer for a stupid reason. Do you have strict, academic parents?"  

"Thanks," I said smilingly, "yeah, it's something like that." 

What I didn't say was that my parents tortured me mentally to be a straight-A student but we wouldn't be discussing that this night. I was with the man of my dreams!

"Josh," yelled Petra, "can you please just get their orders already?!" 

"Oh yeah," he said, "Rosette, can you repeat your order?" 

"Peppermint mocha with Almond milk and extra chocolate syrup." 

"Got it, and what do you want, Mr. Barba?" 

"Just a coffee with two sugars and cream." 

"Okay, brb." 

Once Josh walked away, I said: "Sorry about that. He's...talkative." 

"It's fine," Rafael assured me, "everyone needs a hype man like him once in a while. Besides, I learned something fascinating about you." 

He then asked me: "So what did you do today?" 

"Proofread an article," I replied. 

"Daydreamed about you like a damn teenager," I thought. 

"For work?" 

"Yes." 

"How did you get a job for an online magazine?" 

"Well, during college, I wrote about you and your sex crime cases on my personal blog when you were a prosecutor. An editor from Heinous Minds saw my blog and liked what he read, so after I graduated, I was offered a writing job." 

"I didn't know that prosecutors had fans," he said playfully. 

"They do," I grinned, "especially if they're like you." 

I thought that this flirty comment was cheesy as hell but I saw that I made him blush a little and my heart skipped a beat.

Josh came back with our coffees but Petra was behind him with two plates of pie in her hands. As Josh carefully handed over our mugs and walked away, she placed the plates in front of us. 

"Two slices of apple pie," she beamed, "on the house!" 

"Thanks Petra." 

"Anytime...and it's nice to meet you, Mr. Barba."  

"Oh, please call me Rafael." 

"Okay Rafael," she smiled, "Hey Rosette, I know that Josh went overboard but it is pretty cool that you taught yourself Spanish that young." 

"It's no big deal." 

"Your friends are obsessed with this fact about you," remarked Rafael. 

"I notice." 

"Well, I wouldn't be able to learn another language at that age," replied Petra, "and still remember it. Oh by the way, does your name mean little Dandelion in Spanish?" 

"The word Rose is literally in her name," teased Josh playfully from the counter, making both Rafael and I almost choke on coffee from laughter. 

"I think that it's French," I giggled, "meaning little flower or little rose." 

"Then why do your parents call you their little weed? I heard them call you that on phone messages."

Josh and I shot Petra a warning look, which she didn't notice.

I laughed nervously and said: "My parents just have a warped sense of humor. You see, my birth was unexpected and..." 

"And unwanted," I thought. 

"...and I was a scrawny and awkward kid," I went on, "that was never where my parents wanted me to be. As an adult, I can still be pretty awkward at times so I'm the weed of the family. Get it? Isn't it funny?" 

I was trying to laugh it off but inside, I was panicking. 

Josh immediately rushed over and came up with a lie: "Petra, I think that the cherry pie is burning. You better come quick!" 

"Oh crap! Will you two excuse me?" 

As they ran into the kitchen, Josh mouthed: Sorry.  

"She's very serious about her pies," I joked.

When I looked at Rafael, he was giving me a perplexing, heartfelt look. 

"I can't believe that your parents call you a weed," he said. 

"Oh, it's nothing. My parents just think..." 

"They're wrong," he said tenderly, "Eres una rara, hermosa, pequeña rosa." (You're a rare, gorgeous, little rose)

This was when he reached over and gently touched my hand for the first time, looking into my eyes.

I smiled, looking back into his eyes, and softly said: "That does sound much better." This simple, sweet moment meant so much to me.

We talked and laughed for an hour, as we drank coffee and ate pie. Not only was he very cultured, but he could also be hilariously cheeky. Even though I still had the butterflies in my stomach, my insecurities from earlier were gone. I was just enjoying his company. Our surroundings seemed to melt away and we were in our own little world. He was everything and more that I thought that he would be. 

At nine o'clock, we were ready to leave and he wanted to tip Josh and thank Petra personally. We were waiting at the counter when someone tapped his shoulder. It was Odafin Tutuola. I recognized him from all of the SVU cases that I wrote about. 

He took off his mask and said in a friendly tone: "What's up Barba?"

"Fin," Rafael exclaimed happily, "how are you?" 

"I'm good. I should've known that you'll be into a place like this." 

"Well," replied Rafael, "my captivating neighbor, Rosette Sawyer, here, invited me." 

His affectionate introduction of me took me by surprise but I played it cool. 

"Rosette, meet Sergeant Fin Tutuola." 

"It's nice to meet you Sergeant Tutuola," I said. 

"Just call me Fin," he smiled, "Nice to meet you." 

"I really respect what the Special Victims Unit does everyday," I told Fin, "I'm a true crime writer. I've had written a lot about the SVU cases that Rafael prosecuted."

"That's cool. Thanks." 

Rafael just grinned proudly at me.

"I'm shocked that you're even here," Rafael said to Fin, "I thought that you hated coffee." 

"I do but Phoebe bugged me to come." Fin then pointed to a woman, who was sitting in the second booth and was already giving her order to Josh. 

"Ah, smart man," remarked Rafael, "So how's Liv?" 

He was finally addressing the elephant in the room for them. 

"You know Liv," Fin replied, "constantly working. We've been busy with a case that I think that makes Carisi secretly wishes that you were still the D.A. Liv won't talk about it but man, she's still pissed at you for defending that ass-hat, Wheatley. Carisi just mentioned you and she didn't talk to him for a day." 

"Even ass-hats deserve a good defense." 

Rafael was trying to smirk it away but I saw the heart-wrenching darkness in his eyes for a second. They brightened up again spontaneously though after he glanced over at me, his gaze looking like a green sunrise. I wasn't jealous at the time either because I knew how long he worked with Olivia. She was a huge part of his life. 

"I get it," said Fin, "you were just doing your job and Carisi told us that you only took Wheatley's case to protect Liv." 

I exclaimed: "You did?" 

"Yeah, not all defense attorneys have the same integrity as Barba." 

"I wish that Liv saw it that way," Rafael sighed. 

"Just give her time," assured Fin. 

"Hey Fin," exclaimed Phoebe teasingly, "stop gossiping during their date and come sit down!" 

"I better get back," he smiled, "you two have a good night." 

"If you don't like coffee," I told Fin, "try one of the pies. They're tasty!" 

"I'll keep that in mind." 

Then, before walking away, he quickly winked at Rafael and playfully said: "Don't do anything that I wouldn't do." 

Rafael rolled his eyes but smiled. I giggled. 

Josh and Petra finally came to the counter. Rafael paid for our coffees and gave Josh thirty bucks. He then thanked Petra for a great experience. Josh and Petra both beamed with pride. He was already getting along with my friends, despite the awkwardness of the beginning of the date. I was so relieved and happy. 

As I was putting on my jacket and mask, Petra whispered to me: "I'm sorry about earlier. Josh told me everything. I didn't know that your parents were such jerks. I mean, I knew that they weren't exactly the Brady Bunch but..."     

"It's okay," I promised her, "I'm not mad. I never told you." 

"But..." 

"It's absolutely fine." I hugged her swiftly before Rafael and I walked out.

Rafael and I were walking home together and we walked in silence at first. People were still being cautious because of Covid but the city was becoming alive again with the bustling streets, which was nice to see.  Neon lights from signs radiated welcomingly in the night and the Christmas lights all around twinkled brightly like stars. There was also a slight chill in the air that I could feel even through my mask. It was an enchanting night in Manhattan.  

We began walking through Rockefeller Center. The massive Christmas tree was illuminated with colorful lights and a huge, white star on top. Majestic-looking statues of angels with long trumpets surrounded the tree and under the tree, the famous, bronze statue of Prometheus stood. In the middle of all of this, there was a lit-up skating rink. 

"Hey," I said to Rafael, "can we stop for a few minutes and watch the skaters?" 

"Sure." 

We walked over and stood at the barricade of the ice. We pulled down our masks to talk. 

He asked: "Why did you want to watch people ice-skate?" 

"I just love ice-skating. I love doing it and watching it!" 

"Have you skated here?" 

"When I was in college," I smiled, my eyes sparkling like a little kid, "I was here almost every weekend during the winter but I haven't skated in a while." 

"We can skate together," he said. 

"You know how?" I was looking at him with some skepticism. 

"How dare you," he teased, "Despite common belief, I am very athletic." 

I laughed and said: "Okay, I believe you." 

"So come on, let's go skate!" 

He later told me that he suggested that we go ice-skating because he saw the adorable excitement within me when I was talking about it and he just wanted to make me happy. 

I exclaimed with a chuckle: "Now? But my skates are at my place and we need tickets to go in!" 

"I can buy the tickets and rent skates for us. Come on." 

Before I could protest, he gently grabbed my hand and happily led the way. He paid for the tickets and our skate rentals. I couldn't hide my extreme joy as I put on the skates. He also let me put my rose from him in his coat pocket while we skated. 

When we first stepped on the ice, it started to snow on us lightly. We glided side by side at first but I suddenly skated ahead of him and did a fancy spin and jump. 

"Show off," he laughed. 

He then grabbed my hand and twirled me around like we were slow dancing on the ice. As it snowed a bit more harder, we skated face-to-face and did some figure eights together. He also picked me up, spinning in fast circles. It tickled my stomach from the inside and we both couldn't stop laughing. This moment would become such a fun, romantic memory for the rest of my life. When he put me back on the ice, I felt dizzy. I tried to ignore the dizziness and continued to skate but I lost my balance.  

I almost fell back but he zipped behind me and caught me in his arms just in time. 

He asked: "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine." As I was in his arms, I was quite aware that we were within kissing distance and I could smell his musky cologne. I felt like I was spellbound, staring at him for a minute. There wasn't anything that I wanted do more than to kiss him but I didn't make a move on him. 

"I'm fine," I repeated with a smile, as he helped me stand, "thanks Rafael." Then, we continued skating, hand in hand. 

After an hour of skating, we walked home; still holding hands and talking. We were now at my door. I had my key and rose in one hand. I admit that I wanted him to kiss me but I didn't want to seem too desperate or pushy. I normally wouldn't kiss on a first date but this time was different, this guy was different. 

"I had a great time," I told him. 

"Me too. I haven't smiled that much in a long time." 

I blushed. 

"Well, pequeña rosa (little rose)," he said, his soft lips kissing the top of my hand like he was a prince courting a princess, "goodnight. We should do this again." 

"We should," I grinned, "Night Rafael." I slowly unlocked my door and walked in. He waited until I was inside before he walked to his door. 

As I closed my door behind me, I felt beyond giddy and a Cheshire Cat grin was glued to my face, for I knew that this date was the start of something incredible. 

To be continued... 

©Lena Holdman, all rights reserved 2022 

This is a work of fan fiction using characters from the TV series, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, which is trademarked by ©Dick Wolf.  

Author Notes: Things are heating up between Rosette and Rafa! I'm sorry that it took me forever to write this but I was having fun, lol. :) Part 3 will be worked on after the holidays. 

My original, annual Halloween story will be coming soon.  

Smooches and think Tink! 

     

                      


Blessed Beltane 🌹

  Blessed Beltane!  Beltane or Bealtaine is the Gaelic May Day festival, marking the beginning of summer. It is traditionally held on 1 May,...